Your Middle Back Pain Treatment Specialists
Mid Back Pain
If you're experiencing chronic mid-back pain symptoms, your entire life can be disrupted. This is especially true for athletes, who often rely on their back and spine for peak performance. The good news is that there are a variety of non-surgical and minimally-invasive treatment options available, depending on the root cause of back pain you’re experiencing.
At Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists, our team of sports-minded orthopedic doctors in Pittsburgh, PA have been providing patients with the most advanced non-surgical spinal cord pain treatment available for a combined 40 years. We’re committed to offering patients the least invasive, most conservative treatments available, ensuring that your recovery is as quick, effective, and affordable as possible. When you receive care from Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists, you’re not just another patient – you’re a member of our family.
No matter what common mid-back pain reason has you sidelined, we’re here to help. If you’re ready to receive care from the best orthopedic doctors Pittsburgh has to offer, don’t wait – schedule an appointment with Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists today.
Experienced Orthopedic Spine Doctor Near You
Diagnosing Common Causes and Types of Mid Back Pain
In a broad sense, pain in the mid-back usually indicates some sort of issue with the muscles, ligaments, or joints in that area. These soft tissues can be strained or sprained due to overuse, repetitive motions, poor posture, or an acute injury.
There are a few different types of mid-back pain that are more common among athletes than others. The most typical conditions we see at Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists include:
- Muscle Strains: A muscle strain is a tear in the muscle fibers that can be caused by overstretching, overuse, or acute trauma. This type of injury is common among athletes who participate in sports that require repetitive motions, such as golf, tennis, and baseball.
- Ligament Sprains: A ligament sprain is a tear in the ligaments that connect the bones of the spine. These injuries are usually caused by trauma, such as a fall or car accident.
- Joint Dysfunction: Joint dysfunction occurs when the joints in the mid-back are not moving correctly. This can be due to arthritis, joint instability, or other conditions that restrict movement.
If you're struggling with chronic pain in your mid-back region, it's important to seek out the help of a medical professional. Depending on the root cause of your pain, there are a variety of treatment options available that can help you get back to your training and compete pain-free. At Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists, our team will work with you to develop a customized treatment plan that fits your unique needs.
Frequently Asked Questions
Are certain athletes prone to certain types of spinal injuries?
Depending on the sport you play, you may be more susceptible to certain types of injuries. For example, tennis players often develop mid-back pain due to the twisting and turning required in their swings, while golfers may suffer from a condition called "golfer's back" due to the repetitive nature of their swings.
How can I prevent spinal injuries during sports?
There are a few things you can do to help prevent injuries to your back during sports:
- Warm up properly before playing or practicing
- Stretch regularly, especially if you're involved in a sport that requires repetitive motions
- Use proper technique when playing or practicing
- Listen to your body and take breaks when you're feeling pain or fatigue
- Avoid smoking, which can lead to degenerative changes in the spine
If you do suffer an injury, it's important to seek medical attention as soon as possible. The sooner you're able to get a diagnosis and start treatment, the better your chances of making a full recovery.
Do you accept insurance for the treatment of mid-back pain?
Yes! As some of the most accessible orthopedic physicians Pittsburgh has to offer, Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists is proud to accept a wide variety of insurances across Western PA, Ohio, and West Virginia. For patients in the Pittsburgh area, we accept both Highmark and UPMC. View our page to see our list of providers, and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our knowledgeable and friendly staff.
How can I get started with the best back specialist near me?
The team at Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists is passionate about making our care as easy to access as possible for all of our future patients. If you’re ready to schedule an appointment, just use our to select a time that works best for you.