Top Rated Hip Surgeons in Pittsburgh, PA
Pelvis & Hip Injuries
From swiveling to catch a long pass on the field to lifting your lower half up for a slam dunk, an athlete's pelvis and hips work hard to keep them in motion. Any type of repetitive use or impact on these bones and joints can lead to pain, which can sideline an athlete for weeks, months, or even years.
At Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists, our team includes the best hip replacement surgeons in Pittsburgh, and we’re proud to have provided patients with state-of-the-art treatment for pelvic pain for a combined 40 years and counting. We’re committed to offering patients the least invasive, most conservative treatments available, ensuring that your recovery is as quick, effective, and affordable as possible. When you receive care from Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists, you’re not just another patient – you’re a member of our family.
Whether you need hip joint replacement surgery or a cutting-edge, non-surgical solution to your pain, we’re here to help. If you’re ready to find relief you deserve with the top hip doctor near you, don’t wait – schedule an appointment with Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists today.
Surgical & Non-Surgical Hip Pain Treatment
Types and Causes of Pelvic & Hip Conditions in Athletes
The hips are a weight-bearing joint, which means they support the majority of the body's weight. The pelvis is made up of two main bones: the ilium and the pubis. The ilium is the uppermost and largest bone in the pelvis, while the pubis forms the lower front portion. These bones are connected by a network of ligaments, muscles, and tendons that can become strained or torn.
Some of the most common hip and pelvis conditions we treat at Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists include:
- Arthritis: Arthritis of the hip or pelvis can lead to pain, stiffness, and loss of mobility. It's common in athletes who have had repetitive stress injuries to these joints.
- Trochanteric bursitis: This condition is caused by inflammation of the bursa, a fluid-filled sac that cushions the hip joint. It's often seen in runners and other athletes who put repetitive stress on their hips.
- Labral tears: The labrum is a cartilage ring that surrounds the socket of the hip joint. A tear in this tissue can cause hip pain, clicking or catching sensations in the joint, and loss of range of motion.
- Fractures: A hip or pelvis fracture can occur from a direct blow to the area or from a fall. They're common in contact sports such as football and hockey, but can also happen in non-contact sports if the athlete lands awkwardly after a jump.
If you're living with chronic pain in your hips, it's time to seek treatment from our team of board-certified sports medicine specialists. We offer a comprehensive approach to pain relief, from conservative treatment options to cutting-edge surgical procedures.
Frequently Asked Questions
Why are hip conditions common in athletes?
Athletes are particularly prone to hip issues due to the amount of wear and tear their bodies undergo. Overuse injuries are the most common type of hip injury, particularly in runners. However, any type of impact sport, such as football or hockey, can also lead to hip problems.
How can I prevent hip and pelvis wear and tear?
Prevention is always the best medicine, but it's not always possible to prevent injuries or pain caused by wear and tear. However, there are some things you can do to reduce your risk, including:
- Warm up before physical activity
- Stretch regularly
- Cross-train with different activities
- Listen to your body and rest when you're in pain
- Maintain a healthy weight
- Use proper form when exercising
- Wear supportive shoes
Do you accept insurance for pelvic fracture treatment & more?
Yes! Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists is proud to accept a wide variety of insurances across Western PA, Ohio, and West Virginia for hip replacement surgery and other hip treatments. For patients in the Pittsburgh area, we accept both Highmark and UPMC. View our page to see our list of providers, and if you have any questions, feel free to reach out to our knowledgeable and friendly staff.
How can I get started with the best hip specialist near me?
The team at Sports Medicine & Joint Replacement Specialists is passionate about making our care as easy to access as possible for all of our future patients. If you’re ready to schedule an appointment, just use our to select a time that works best for you.